Adding the wing to the Blitz GTi shell made the straight line stability a lot better. The track had a long, fast sweeper which meant I needed to gear up to 22/33, and in Round 2 I started to get some traction roll which I solved by reducing the shock length (and thus droop) all round to 56.5mm. I also gradually increased the stiffness of the rear of the car as the day went on, and it felt more and more stable, although not really any faster. The attendance of a former Tamiya World Champion on the day meant that TQ was out of reach, and I lined up third on the grid. A big mistake by me, rolling off the track at the last corner, cost me second place in the first final (finishing third), and backmarker troubles cost me second in the second (finishing fourth). The car was good by the end though, the setup – m05_2012_11_11_cwic_setup – is once again moving closer to where I was at the end of last indoor season, which is normally a good sign that you are close to the limit. Think I might drop this class though, two cars is just a bit too much to concentrate on and the results haven’t fallen in my favour so far.
17.5 Blinky TC
It was more of a power track this time around, the long sweeper was taken flat, and there was a full-throttle mini-straight after the first chicane too. I wasn’t happy with the HPI Flux Pro at all after practice and Round 1, and after asking the owner of the fastest car on the track what motor he was running, I knew what I had to do. He was running a Vampire – the very motor I cooked a few weeks ago – so I went straight across to Ian@MMR and handed over my Visa card. Again :(. Not only did Mr B. reveal his motor, he also told me his timing and gear ratio without prompting – thanks Les. His suggestion of 3.7:1@10deg timing felt a shade overgeared to me, but nonetheless I set my fastest laptime of the day so far in Round 2. For Round 3 I went to 3.9:1@10deg, but that was undergeared (the sweet spot in 17.5 is very small) and although I was leading the race, a mistake by me and the lack of raw pace meant TQ was out of reach. So again I lined up 3rd on the grid. For the first final I went to 3.9:1@15deg, and I was very happy with the pace, with plenty of rip off the line and completely matching the other cars for top end. The race was running in grid order with barely 2 seconds covering the top 3, until another car hit the track markers hard and pushed them out into the middle of the sweeper. Pole position man Jay got caught up in the melee, but me and Les got through, and raced nose to tail until the buzzer, with only a few tenths separating us. Sadly for me, it was Les in the lead, but it was a great race. The second final was a bit easier, Les and Jay came together on the first lap, and gave me a comfortable gap which I held until the finish. So, two wins and two seconds from this class so far this year, a great start. The ARC R10’s setup remained unchanged from the last round.
Not sure that I can make the next meeting, so it will be interesting to see who scores the big points while I’m away!